Holding hands may seem like an innocent gesture, but they show more than a simple interlocking of fingers. Your hands are one of the most essential parts of your body: you build with them, feed with them, hold with them, touch with them, fight with them; they are the tools of the human body. To take a hold of another’s hand is to break from living individually. It is to link yourself to another being, to momentarily entwine your life with another’s, to promise, for a moment, that you need not face the world alone. More simple, more aesthetically naive than other forms of affection, i.e kissing, hugging, sexing.., the act of holding hands is often trivialized in its true implications.
He will give: beauty for ashes; joy instead of mourning; praise instead of heaviness. (Isaiah 61:3, TLB.)
Everyone has experienced hurt and disappointment. We’ve all been burnt by life. But God doesn’t want us to sit in the ashes of the past; He wants to trade our brokenness for healing. He wants to give us beauty for our ashes. The key is that we have to be willing to give up the ashes in order to receive the beauty. You can’t have both because the old has to go before the new can come.
Today, are you willing to trust Him with your past hurts? Are you willing to let go of the pain, to forgive others and yourself so you can move forward in freedom? Don’t waste another day sitting in the ashes. The past is over, but your future remains. Let God give you joy instead of mourning, and let Him make something beautiful out of the ashes of your life today!
The 12 Prayers of Christmas
1. LOVE - Lord, help us follow the way of love - let the love of Christ compel us (1 Corinthians 14:1; 2 Corinthians 5:14).
2. JOY - Restore the joy of Your salvation to us; let us experience the joy of Your presence (Psalm 51:12; 16:11).
3. PEACE - Let Your peace rule and guard our hearts; give us more of You - You are our peace (Colossians 3:15; Philippians 4:7; Ephesians 2:14).
4. HOPE - Enlighten the eyes of our heart so that we may know the hope You called us to (Ephesians 1:18).
5. FAVOR - Let Your favor rest on us (Luke 2:52).
6. LIFE - Shine Your light of life on us; help us to walk in it (Job 33:30; Psalm 56:13).
7. SALVATION - Help us to fear You so we can unlock the treasure of Your salvation (Isaiah 33:6).
8. SELFLESSNESS - Keep us from self-seeking attitudes that reject truth (Romans 2:8).
9. GENEROSITY - Make us rich in ways that result in generosity on our part so You will be praised (2 Corinthians 9:11).
10. RECEIVING - Help us receive Your kingdom, Your Spirit, and Your grace (Daniel 7:18; John 20:22; Romans 5:17).
11. SEEKING - Encourage us to seek Your face with all our hearts (Deuteronomy 4:29; Psalm 27:8).
12. PRAISE - We ascribe glory to Your name, Lord; we come before You in worship for You are holy (1 Chronicles 16:28-29).
Remember, even if you don’t see how things could ever work out, God does. Speak to those mountains in your life and declare God’s favor over those situations. Instead of talking to God about how big your problems are, talk to your problems about how big your God is! As you speak to your mountains, they will be moved, and you will move forward into the victory God has prepared for you!